simplicity

simplicity
“Possessions, outward success, publicity, luxury - to me these have always been contemptible. I believe that a simple and unassuming manner of life is best for everyone, best for both the body and the mind.”
Albert Einstein

Monday 9 December 2013

Its starting to feel a lot like Christmas

When I was younger the family plastic Christmas tree would go up without fail on the last night of November, I was always itching to get it out and put it up. Back then we had the same tree for much longer than I was alive. Now days it's much different. More and more faux trees are produced each year some getting cheaper and cheaper some getting bigger and more ridiculous.  

When I cleaned my garage out at the start of this year I chucked my very plastic and very disposable white Christmas tree. I figured I would just buy a new one. I thought maybe I could get a black on this coming year. I know, how realistic is that! 

More recently I have become more and more aware about landfill and where a lot of our products come from. Chances are most of the faux trees out there are from China or Indonesia. So much labour, space, poor paid man hours and chemicals are used to create these plastic lifeless trees with their massive carbon footprint. 


So this year I went for a more Eco friendly option. I bought my own little living Christmas tree. Now mind you it doesn't look like much, and a large gust of wind could blow it over but there are so many good points.  

I can use it every year, it's in a pot - providing I keep it alive.  
It grows into a bigger and better tree each year.  
It increases oxygen in your home.  
It makes you feel good inside.  
You can even name it if you want to.  

Not only are faux trees a concern but the decorations are as well. I decided to DIY some decorations this year. I also had to keep in mind that my little bundle of joys branches were not very strong at all yet. I just went with some simple red bows made from ribbon with metal loops I found at a craft store and some left over tinsel from last year. 

Looking at my tree now it does look a bit different but I'm happy with it. At the end of the day it Christmas is not about the tree with the presents sitting underneath. For me Christmas is about friends and family... and time off work.
 






 


Tis the season





No comments:

Post a Comment